Nasib Salibi was born in Homs. At the age of 25, he worked in the National Museum in Damascus with Michel Echocher on a project to renovate the Grand front part of al-Hayr palace “Qasr al-Hayr”. In 1953, he started working with his first excavation mission in Amrit. He succeeded in uncovering details about the cult compound dedicated to the god Melqart, showing the structure of the religious world of the Phoenician homeland. He drew new architecture scripts for the Magazel underground burial chambers in addition to documenting the history of Amrit stadium. By 1958, he organized all the documents related to Amrit kingdom.
He was also known for his work on studying and organizing pottery from different eras. He participated in the renovation of the Straight Streets in Apamea and in many excavation missions in Damascus and Azaar cemetery in Tartus. He also contributed to the discovery of Al-Mushrifah site. He worked on exploration campaigns in Arwad, Al Rayan church in Homs, the cemeteries of Damascus, Latakia and Safita.
He worked in the excavations of Tal Al Abd, Annap, Al Safina and Tal Al Sheikh Hassan on the banks of the Euphrates in Raqqa. He drew scripts for many mosques and designed cabinets for the western section of Damascus National Museum and other museums.
He wrote more than 20 research essays for the Archaeological Yearbook magazine documenting his discoveries. He also wrote a book about Amrit in 1984 and participated in writing many other books. Salibi worked as a lecturer in the department of Archaeology at Damascus University.
Text: Lina Az-Zakaimi