The Gates of the City
1. Bab Tadmor (Gate of Palmyra): Located on the north-eastern part of the wall facing the east,now it is known to be at the beginning of the road to Bab Tadmor Charity Association and The Monastery of St. Elian. It was named after the road which goes to Palmyra. It is also called Bab Al Jabal (Gate of the Mountain) since it is located on a hill. The gate was removed in 1925 by the municipality under the urban expansion process of the city.
2. Bab al-Dreib: Located on the south-eastern side of the city wall facing the east, currently known to be in the middle of the road to Ahmed ar-Rifa'i Street which goes to Bustan Addiwan, across Ka'ab al-Ahbar Mosque. It is the gate to the eastern and south-eastern villages and the neighbouring farming lands along several roads that are called (Doroub) in Arabic, the thing which probably explainsits name. Above the gate, a Lily floweris engraved asthe emblem of Sultan Nur ad-Din Zinki. People used to call it also Bab al Saghir (The small gate). Though this gate, the Arabic army led by Abu Ubaidah al-Jarrah and Khalid ibn al-Walid entered the city. The gate was removed in 1925.
3. Bab al-Sebaa (Gate of the Lions): Located in the south-eastern part of the Citadel of Homs facing the south and leading to the city of Hisyah and to Damascus road. It is a big gate from which the caravans of Hajj pilgrims used to take off. Now, it is located in the middle of the road to Bab al-Sebaa Street. The name comes after an engraved picture above the gate of seventy fighters as the emblem of king Baibars. Through this door, the Arabic army led by Yazid ibn Abu Sufyan entered the city, it is the first military entry near the Citadel of Homs. It was removedas well in 1925.
4. Bab al-Turkman: Located on the north-western side of Bab al Sebaa. Now, it is in the middle of Bab al-Turkman Street facing the west. It is named after some Turkmen settlers who settled in this area after The Ottomans entered the city. It is a military entrance near the Citadel of Homs, leading to the farms and it connects the road between Homs and Damascus. The gate was removed in 1925.
5.Bab Al-Masdood (The Closed Gate): Located to the north-west of Bab al-Turkman facing the west. It was removed by the municipality as well, however; it is the only gate whose side stakes are still in place. Now, the gate can be seen on the western side of Dahyah Kalbi Mosque. The gate was closed with rocks and mud during the Ottoman reign until it was reopened after WWII. Closing the gate helped maintaining it from destruction and became known as the Closed Gate. It is said that Sultan Salim left the city of Homs using this gate in 1516 and it was closed after that. Previously, the gate used to lead to Midan square (AL-Midan neighbourhood now), the farms and to Tripoli road.
6. Bab Hud (The Gate of Hud): Located in the north of Bab al-Masdoud and on the west of Maqam an-Nabi, in the middle of Bab Hud Street. It faces the west and leads to Talkalakh, Krak des Chevaliers and the coastal cities, it is considered a trade access to the coast. The word “Hud” is an old Canaanite word which means “glory”.
7. Bab al-Souq (Gate of the Market): It is known also as Arrastan Gate and Al-Meglaque Gate, located on the west of al-Nouri Mosque facing the north and leading to Hama and the northern cities. It was called the Market Gate since it leads to all the markets in the city, now it is located in the middle of Bab al-Souq Street. It is the gate from which the Arabic army led by Hashim ibn Utbah bin Abi Waqas entered the city and it was removed after the expansion of the city in 1869.
By Eng. George Fares Rabaheyah